Sunday, July 27, 2008

Una Persona Muy Maja

WARNING: This post is slightly sappy, sorry.
It was bound to happen sometime...


Upon rereading most of my blog entries it occurred to me that I forgot to talk about one of the most important people in my journey to Spain, MariCarmen. I can honestly say that her enthusiasm towards my semester abroad directly influenced me to apply to this Auxiliares program. She constantly reminded us one of the most important things we have in life is our proverbial box of memories, and encouraged us to fill that box with only the best. I never thought I'd move to a new country, I always saw myself as a traveler. But when I looked back on the memories I had collected from a little over 3 months in Spain I couldn't pass up the chance to triple them.

Along with her duties as the director of all of American University's Spain programs, MariCarmen helps the surprising number of AU students who couldn't get enough Spain while in school and now are finding ways to go back. So far MC has helped Melanie and me secure an apartment but she closed her email with, "I can't wait to give you and Melanie a very big hug. Please let me know if you need anything else." I know she means both parts, and a thought like that is super comforting when I start to think, "Holy Shit, I'm actually moving to Spain! WHAT WAS I THINKING?!?!!!?"

MariCarmen is the nicest person alive. Nice is not really a good word for her, there really aren't any words to describe MariCarmen. In reality, "nice" is how people describe someone they don't really know, but don't particularly hate. In this case, nice is general enough to cover the range of MariCarmen's fabulousness. If you are a reader who has never been on an American University abroad program with MariCarmen you probably won't get just how fantastic she is, sorry.

No comments:

Post a Comment