Sunday, March 1, 2009

I am the Proud Owner of One Economy Class Ticket to Helsinki

For those of us from the States, countries in Europe seem fairly close together. I can get from Madrid in the most western extreme of Europe to Germany, a country arguably in the middle, in about two hours. In the States two hours would get you from Portland OR to, perhaps, Denver or Salt Lake City. Sadly, I've not taken advantage of this relative proximity since returning to Spain. I did make it over to Germany, but not much else. Come Easter weekend that will change. I am going to Helsinki, Finland.

When I found out that I would move back to Madrid I set a personal goal of seeing Finland. Those of you not related to me may be wondering "why Finland?" The answer is simple, my Grandmom. My great-grandparents on her side were immigrants from Finland, Vimpeli, Finland to be exact. That being said, Finnish culture hasn't driven my life by any stretch of the imagination; growing up my Grandmom tried to assimilate as much as possible, going so far as to NOT teach her kids the language (which bugs me because I love languages and would love to know that one!). That doesn't mean I don't take special notice when Finland come up or know how to make two traditional foods.

Even though I had set the goal of going to Finland, that doesn't make flights cheaper or Finland closer to Spain. When I initially looked into it flights were around 300 euros, not to mention another 200 for a hotel, plus Scandinavia has earned rep for being expensive. Early on I floated the idea to my mom, which she seemed to like but I never booked anything because the prices were too high. Out of seemingly nowhere she brings back up the Finland idea and I re-explain the cost issue. She sends me back an email basically saying that my parents, and probably my Grandpop, would help pay for it. I know this is true because I know how important my Grandmom was to everyone and thus, by association, how important Finland is. Now I have no excuse not to go, only good reasons to make the trip.

I know that my Grandmom always wanted to visit. Once, in the 1950s her parents had the chance to go back on a trip and see how things had changed in the 30 or so years since they left, but my Grandmom never got to make the trip. Now, I have the chance to go as a representative of our family. I know myself and I know that this trip is going to be an emotional adventure as well as an adventure in the traditional sense. To me, it seems like a chance to learn something about my Grandmom and where she comes from.

In 2002 my Grandmom passed away. Since she lived in Pennsylvania it was difficult for us to see much of each other. To my recollection we probably saw that side of the family once every few years while I was growing up. Because of this I, regrettably, don't have a lot of memories of certain members of my family. Unfortunately, my Grandmom is a member of this group.

In contrast, I spent my four years at American University going up to Pennsylvania to spend Thanksgiving and random weekends with my Grandpop, two Uncles and my Aunt's family, I even spent one summer living in his house. That time was a wonderful opportunity to get to know the members of my family who for a while had seemed detached from my "normal" life. At times I can't help but wonder what it would have been like if all the members of my family had been alive when I had the chance to live so close.

Alas, that question will never be answered, but I look at this trip as an opportunity to forge a unique bond with my Grandmom. My Grandpop and I share a joke about my laundry (which I always brought to his house) and my Aunt outfits me with GIANT bags of Swedish Fish candies from BJ's; now my Grandmom and I can share Finland.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. sniffle, tear. sniffle...

    ReplyDelete