Thursday, December 18, 2008

So NOT Spanish

Two mid-week posts?! It is almost a Christmas Miracle!

A few weeks back (it is quite possible that it was only last week, my sense of time is a little off...) I had finished my lesson and was walking towards the bus stop when I saw the bus rounding the corner. I was still two blocks away and there was really no way I was going to make it, but I tried anyways. I decided that I would come up with an interesting mix of running and walking, running for speed and walking for the appearance that I wasn't desperate to catch the bus. I busted out my run/walk and got across the first street by the time the bus pulled up to the stop. That was when I gave up, it clearly wasn't going to happen.

Junior year, after I came back from Madrid, I lived in the residence hall that faced the shuttle bus stop on campus. The bus stopped in such a place that kids would see it coming from a good distance away and try to run and catch it. Depending on the bus driver's mood, they might catch it otherwise they would do the same thing I did; run until it became obvious they were out of luck then go back to a normal pace. Sometimes my roommate and I would take bets on if kids would make it in time... but I'm on a tangent here, back to the point.

When I arrived at the bus stop there were no other people waiting. There is only one bus that comes by that stop, so when I had just missed it by about 30 seconds I found the stop empty. Out of nowhere I hear the creaks of metal wheels and some guy in a wheel chair pulls up. I swear I had not seen him on any part of the sidewalk before that moment and was thoroughly caught off-guard. Instead of letting me catch my breath from my awkward trip across the street this guy strikes up a conversation about how he watched me running the other block but knew I wasn't going to make it in time. Creepy? Yes.

To be polite, and keep up with cultural norms, I told him that I had to run the last time I was catching that same bus but this time it just wasn't my luck. Then he outright asks me if I was British or American, because he knew from my accent that I wasn't Spanish. Thanks, Buddy. I'm aware of the fact that I don't have a lisp and tend to pronounce all the sylables in my words. I am also aware of the fact that I don't look particularly Spanish, so I think between my accent and appearance he just pieced together that I was an English speaker. In the moment I was, clearly, offended. I don't point out the obvious differences in people. Instead of saying "you're not Spanish" he could have come up with a less abrasive phrase.

Several weeks ago, when I started giving lessons, I was waiting for the bus to go home when a woman came up and asked me how long I had been waiting. The only problem was the way she phrased the question used the verb llevar, which has typically been taught as "to carry". I had to take a few seconds to figure out what she was trying to find out, then I responded in a slightly awkward way. She then asked me where I was from and when I told her I was American and here teaching English she complemented me saying I could "hold my own" very well. I think that is a better way to approach talking to someone from a different country. Please, don't point out that they are non-native! The person is probably well aware of how one of these things is not like the others, there is nothing good that can come from saying it again.

Last night I was told I clearly wasn't Spanish for another reason. When I left my other private lesson one of my lesson's neighbors was in the hall way about to call the elevator when the she and the mom of the girl I give lessons to started chatting. They chatted about a painter coming to do work and a few other things, I stood there and waited for the elevator. When it arrived the conversation was winding down, but not over. I got into the elevator and waited for a few seconds for the neighbor to come in. When the doors closed she remarked that I wasn't Spanish because most Spaniards wouldn't wait for someone to stop talking and that the live in such a rush. I had to laugh out loud at this idea. I spent four years living in Washington DC, a place where people are perpetually in a rush to get from one place to the other. I find Spain to be a nice change of pace!

Now on to things, other than me, that aren't Spanish. Today when Anna and I were coming back to school after having a soda across the street we ran into a large group of teachers as they left. They told us they were going out for lunch and asked if we wanted to join. After a little discussion we decided to go. As we go into the car Eduardo told me that we were going to Foster's of Hollywood an "American" restaurant. Great. They took the token American to an "American" restaurant.

When we got there, there was an uproar from our crowd because the restaurant does not offer a menú del día (remember that the menú del día is the typical restaurant lunch offering of two courses, dessert and a drink). People, this is an American style restaurant. WE DON'T DO THAT... well unless it is TGIFridays and it that amazing special they occasionally do where you get the three courses for $9.99... back to the point! American resturant, you can't expect a Spanish dining experience.

After they had chilled out about the menú crisis they began to look at the menu. Clearly, most of them were out of their element and turned to the one person they thought could help. No. Not Eduardo, the one who had been to this place before but me, the American. I have actively avoided going into any of the ubiquitous Foster's locations, seeing as I am in Spain I want to eat at Spanish places. Many of them asked if I had recommendations, but to be honest I had to try and remind myself I wasn't at home and I had no idea how the Spanish interpretation of a Philly Cheesesteak would turn out (my guess was pretty bad, but that I just because I've spent time around some delicious Cheesesteaks...).

Personally, I settled on a chili-burger. Bad move. First of all, it came out looking like a normal burger with a little side of chili. I don't know about most of you, but in my experience a chili-burger is supposed to be rather messy and come with a heaping scoop of chili. I poured the whole cup onto my burger and prayed for the best. The flavor was basically that of a canned chili onto a rather bland burger. Quite depressing. The major upside was that there were free refills involved. I drank my fill of Pepsi-Light and then some, just because I could.

1 comment: