Monday, January 26, 2009

18 Weeks Down, 24 to Go!

What to say, what to say...
This week had been business as usual. School had become fairly routine; I show up, I speak some English then I go on to private lessons. The kids seem to like the substitute for Elena, and I enjoy her too. She is a really nice woman and is well prepared to take on the class. I think she was a little shocked at their bad behavior, but is developing ways to work with them on that. I am mostly in charge of the English lessons because Carolina's English isn't as good as Elena's, but Carolina takes over the Science class. We work pretty well together.

On Tuesday I lectured one class of 3rd graders about being disrespectful and not taking advantage of the opportunity they are given. I recognize that it is easy for me to look at it from a grown-up perspective and know that they are in an amazing position to be bilingual, while they just see it as another subject they are forced to take. I can't stress to them enough how wonderful it is for them to be able to speak two languages, possibly more. They all talk about wanting to visit NYC and America, but honestly they would have a better time if they spoke the language and didn't wander around with half a clue. I've tried explaining that I would have loved for my elementary school to force me to be bilingual, but that just flew over their heads. Maybe, one day, when they are struggling to order a sandwich in a real New York Deli they will realize that I was right and they should have paid attention.

Also in school related news, Thursday this week is Peace Day. This means that the kids will be learning to sing Micheal Jackson's Heal the World, complete with actions. When I was younger I liked Micheal Jackson, mostly the Thriller album. This particular song now drives me nuts. It is fair to say I hate it. Now I get to listen to it over and over and over. It is like Eduardo knew and has selected it jus to torture me!! Thankfuly it will all be over Thursday afternoon.

I've also been working with my private lessons. They are all going along well, but I think I have to start challenging the older kids. Both Carlota and Fidel have good vocabularies, but they need to practice using them. Carlota is by far my most advanced student, which makes her class easy and difficult at the same time. Her questions are usually more technical or complicated than Fidel's. Also she will complete an activity in half the time I plan for it to take, leaving me to cook something up on the spot. Fidel's little sister, Miriam, is bright also, but she speaks very little English (mostly because she is 7 years old) and I have to work very hard to be clear and repeat things several times. I try to use very little Spanish, but there are times when there is no other way. With her I try to read books I've borrowed from school or play games. I think next week we will work on cloths and dress paper dolls. This will test my artistic skills.

I could close with promises to write more often, but that would be pointless. I've resigned myself to the fact that some weeks there just isn't much to write about. When something interesting happens, rest assured I will let you know!

2 comments: