Sunday, November 23, 2008

9 Weeks Down 32 to Go!

Yet another week has passed here in Madrid. This week was rather uneventful, which probably accounts for the lack of posts. I went to school and to my private lessons, both of which are going pretty well.

The kids at school are still hilarious and I enjoy almost every minute with them. They do test my patience from time to time. For example, in the 4th grade we are working on talking about preferences and the lesson focuses on television programs. The kids are supposed to talk about their favorite programs and why they like them. The only problem with the lesson is that these kids get too excited over talking about television that Eduardo and I spend more time bringing them back to the lesson or reminding them to be quiet. I had small groups again with Eduardo, but it was a disaster. They would not listen, and one group was actually sent back to the main classroom. I tried to explain to them that even though we do fun activities in the other room, it is very important that we stay on task and that they listen. It seemed like they understood what I was saying, but five minutes later they would be chattering away at each other in Spanish. One group was just awful, so I sent them back. In a way I hope that I made an example of them so the other kids learn to behave well.

As for non-school activities, I don't have much time during the week but I did make time to see Tony before he leaves. His semester abroad is about over and that means I will be down a good friend, but what is one Turner's loss is the other's gain. I'm sure Jen is thrilled to have Tony back, but I would like to keep him around. It is great to have someone here outside of my roommates and other Auxiliares. Perhaps this will be just the push I need to get out and meet more people...

Thursday after work a large group of us went to dinner at my favorite Cuban restaurant. The group had a total of 8 people including both the Auxiliares from my school and our roommates, plus a friend of Eimear's and her German friend. I'm pretty sure that the restaurant was not prepared for such a large group to order actual food. They started to bring out the salads which two people had ordered, a little while later came the chicken dishes, and after that came three more plates, but after 7 dishes had come out Anna still did not have her fish. She ended up waiting nearly an hour, and the rest of us had finished eating by the time she got her food. Luckily, it seemed that no one was that put off by the experience. I think next time we should take a smaller group or just order tapas.

This week I also had coffee with my friend Meagan to talk about a trip before Christmas. We decided to head north, to Berlin. It will be rather wintery and there is the promise of soft pretzels, which is a food I have been craving lately. I think this time I will actually make it to some of the sights. When I was there before with my friend Heather we were so ill-prepared for the weather that we spent the majority of the time hanging out in the hostel or on a bus tour. We bailed on our walking tour and gave up standing in line to go to the top of the parliament building. The only successful outings we had were to a football match and to buy lots of German chocolate.

Yesterday, Audrey and I went to IKEA. It was an adventure, to say the least. It took almost an hour to get there, then there was about a 8 minute walk. We had to ask directions because the area surrounding the metro stop was just barren land with a couple of huge brick apartment buildings. It turns out we had to walk through a mall to get to the IKEA entrance. To my knowledge, this was a surprise that none of our friends who had gone before got to experience.

Once inside the mecca of efficient design I was on a mission. I needed to find a thicker blanket, new sheets and a lamp. As anyone who has ever gone to IKEA knows, you have to walk on their set path which forces you past all their designs and show rooms. While I enjoy a good show room every now and again, I really wanted to buy my stuff and go. Audrey and I had decided that we would hit the cafe at the end of our trip, and I was hoping for Swedish meatballs. We got a little lost in the bedding show area, since they had one edredón (comforter in Spanish) on display for 19.95 € but we had been told that there were 6 euro ones somewhere in IKEA. We walked around trying to find them, or someone to ask, but came up empty handed. We decided to move on to the Autoservico section because that was our best guess as to where the hide the types of stuff we were looking for.

When we got to the bottom floor we found a pile of comforters for 3.99€. Success! Our plan was to each buy two, then double up in the cover. I tried it out last night, and it worked perfectly. Also, when spring rolls back around we can take one out and have a lighter blanket. A genius idea, I think. The self-serve section of IKEA was successful. I found all the things on my list, plus an ice-cube tray that makes ice in the shape of little fishies. Don't judge, plus is was less than one euro.

Audrey and I paid then made a stop at the fast-food stand, not the full cafe, on the opposite side of the cash register. To my shock, there were no meatballs just hot dogs. Luckily, the hot dog and soda combo was only 1.5 €, plus the soda was refillable. I have to admit that I truly miss free refills on soda. That and actual Diet Coke, this Coca-Cola Light business does the job but it is less than satisfying.

After drinking our fill of soda we walked back to the metro and began the 45 minute trek home. I unpacked my goodies and washed the sheets. Next I decided I was going to go buy shoes, since my cheap ballet flats had failed me so miserably last week. I walked around my neighborhood for nearly 2 hours, but couldn't find ones I liked that much. Wait, that is a lie. I found ones that I liked, but after a few shops I knew I had brought my ability to pick out the most expensive item in the store with me from the States. Somehow, whenever I go shopping the things I want are usually the more expensive model/style/design. In my last stop I found a pretty nice pair of boots that I enjoyed, but they were 65€ (while expensive, is half the price of the other pairs I liked...). Reeling a little from the economic impact of my trip to IKEA I decided to go home and review the numbers. I think I will buy them, but I might wait until I get paid on Thursday.

This week is Thanksgiving, but I don't think my school has anything planned. The American University abroad program puts on a big group dinner on Thursday night, which I will probably end up attending. Also, Saturday afternoon Eimear is hosting a Thanksgiving lunch at her place. She and Blair, her roommate, are making a turkey and the rest of the guests are bringing sides. I will be making a pumpkin pie, since I found canned pumpkin in the American grocery store. While at IKEA, Audrey and I decided that everyone has to go into this Thanksgiving knowing that it is modified to fit what is available here. As with everything, it is the thought behind it that counts. It might taste off, but it has the makings of being a great Thanksgiving in spirit.

2 comments:

  1. Oh i remember our trip to BURRRRRRRR-Lin. not only were we not prepared for the cold but we were also not prepared for the torrential down pouring rain if i remember correctly. Hopefully you and Megan can complete the walking tour and see some of the sights without getting pneumonia or frostbite.

    well, take care, buy new shoes, enjoy thanksgiving with Maricarmen and know that i will be here listening to gracias a la vida and jealous that you are there without me!


    MISS YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh! I have hears and stars ice cube trays from Ikea- worthwhile investments. If you can't have nice tasting soda, at least your soda will be cute, right? Good luck with the pumpkin pie baking- post a picture when its done?

    ReplyDelete